Amanda-Users

Re: Unexpected 'gzip --best' processes

2004-10-21 16:08:04
Subject: Re: Unexpected 'gzip --best' processes
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:59:17 +0200
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 at 6:19pm, Toralf Lund wrote

This may be related to our backup problems described earlier:

I just noticed that during a dump running just now, I have

# ps -f -C gzip
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
amanda    3064   769  0 17:18 pts/5    00:00:00 /bin/gzip --best
amanda    3129   773  0 17:44 pts/5    00:00:00 /bin/gzip --best

*snip*

Any ideas why I get these processes?

That's the indexes (indices?) getting compressed.
Ah. Yes, of course... Damn, I was hoping that it was something that shouldn't be there, as that might perhaps explain other issues...

index (LIST) <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=40207&ph=on>
noun [C] plural indices or indexes
1 an alphabetical list, such as one printed at the back of a book showing which page a subject, name, etc. is found on:
Try looking up 'heart disease' *in* the index.

2 a collection of information stored on a computer or on a set of cards, in alphabetical order:
He has all his friends' names and addresses *on* a *card* index.