Amanda-Users

amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries

2004-10-20 17:10:32
Subject: amanda-2.4.4p3, file driver, chg-disk, and infinite driver retries
From: Todd Pfaff <pfaff AT mcmaster DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
I'm using amanda-2.4.4p3 with the file driver and chg-disk changer for
vtapes.

Sometimes a dump fails and driver retries:

  driver: client /some/path 1 [dump to tape failed, will try again]

and then it fails again and retries again, and this repeats until I kill
the amanda processes.

This last time this happened I caught it after driver/dumper/taper had
created about 200 0 length dump files in the vtape directory.  The client
machine it was trying to dump from was offline.  It had gone offline
sometime after the planner stage and so the planner had included it.
There was no indication that this retrying was ever going to stop.

I have been using amanda for years with tapes and I never experienced
this behaviour before so it came as quite a surprise.

Is there any way to limit this retrying by driver?

Thanks,
--
Todd Pfaff <pfaff AT mcmaster DOT ca>
Research & High-Performance Computing Support