Amanda-Users

[OT] Tape changer recommendations

2004-10-20 14:18:01
Subject: [OT] Tape changer recommendations
From: Daniel Bentley <danielb AT hermod.qsicorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:00:08 -0600 (MDT)
The boss has just decreed that we need to increase retention for desktop
backups, and has noted that we've been very good financially and need to
spend more of our budget to keep it out of the hands of Uncle Sam.  ;)

So, anyone have suggestions on external changer devices, 8 tape capacity?
Any brands/model families you would particularly recommend, or would
recommend we -avoid-?  Also, as we've been dealing exlcusively with DDS
here, what are pros- and cons- of the different media formats (AIT, DLT,
LTO, etc) (linkage is appreciated too, I'm sure I'm not the first to ask
this)?  Any thoughts/recommendations on larger capacity single-drive
devices, rather than a multi-tape configuration?  Our current changer is
only an old DDS-3 Sony STL-9000 (1 tape a day), so using a large tape over
the course of a week certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility as
well...

Sorry to send this out to the Amanda list, I just figure it's one of the
better collectives of tape-device users to ask...

--
Daniel Bentley - Network Technician, QSI Corporation (www.qsicorp.com)
"Exploits care not whence the clicks come..."