Amanda-Users

Re: Script to show which files are NOT backed up? (gnutar excludes/includes)

2004-10-14 14:56:35
Subject: Re: Script to show which files are NOT backed up? (gnutar excludes/includes)
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Paul Schmidt <pschmidt5 AT gmail DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:54:00 -0500
--On Thursday, October 14, 2004 09:27:17 -0700 Paul Schmidt <pschmidt5 AT gmail
DOT com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since I have a large filesystem that is larger than my 40GB tapes, I
> use the gnutar exclude lists features to back this up.  Since the
> method is somewhat error-prone to forgetting things/excluding too
> much, I was wondering if anyone had a script to show me all of the
> files on my filesystem that are NOT covered with my disklist file
> entries.
>
> The large data I am backing up is on a partition that also has smaller
> data directories on it too.  The large data is all under a common
> path, and is broken down into subdirectories which themselves DO fit
> on a tape, such as:
>
> /somepath/
>         smalldir/
>         othersmalldir/
>         largedir/
>                 A/
>                      bunch of files that all fit on a tape
>                 B/
>                      bunch of files that all fit on a tape
>         anothersmalldir/
>

> The way I have this set up is /somepath/ has a disklist entry, with an
> exclude file that specifies ./largedir/*   This gathers all of the
> small data dirs all at once.
>
> Then, each directory under largedir has its own disklist entry, such
> as /somepath/largedir/A for example.  This is the error prone part.
>
> The A, B, etc. directories don't change TOO often, but they're not
> static. I am looking for a tool to make it easier to verify that all
> the necessary disklist entries have been made and that none of the
> important data (anywhere on my server) has been accidentally left out.
>
> Any suggestions for how I can do my configuration better that might
> prevent some of these issues would be appreciated as well.

Add a DLE for largedir/ that excludes largedir/A  largedir/B etc.  As
long as you do what you think you're doing it should be a basically
empty backup, but if someone creates largedir/Z and forgot to add a
DLE for it, then the largedir/ DLE entry will pick it up.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673