Amanda-Users

Re: all estimates failed for gnutar

2004-10-13 11:24:15
Subject: Re: all estimates failed for gnutar
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:19:50 -0400
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 12:13:02PM -0300, Fernan Aguero enlightened us:
> +----[ Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu> (13.Oct.2004 11:58):
> |
> | On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:42:33AM -0300, Fernan Aguero enlightened us:
> | > I did the installation as root, of course. I'm not using the
> | > amanda sources 'as is', however, but through the added layer
> | > of the FreeBSD ports system. I doubt this can cause any
> | > trouble, I've already checked the port's Makefile and it is
> | > not overriding amanda's 'install' target ... it is just
> | > setting some default configure options ...
> |
> | Check your xinetd settings. I bet you have user amanda on your system, but
> | xinetd is trying to run it as user operator, or vice versa.
> |
> | Matt
> |
> +----]
>
> Hmm ... this is what I have in inetd.conf:
>
> amandaidx stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amindexd
> amindexd
> amidxtape stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped
> amidxtaped
> amanda    dgram  udp wait   amanda /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
> amandad
>
> and these are their privileges:
>
> pi# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amindexd
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 amanda  operator  23136 Sep 30 15:54
> /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amindexd
>
> pi# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 amanda  operator  13604 Sep 30 15:54
> /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amidxtaped
>
> pi# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 operator  operator  13972 Sep 28 12:22
> /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad

Why is amandad owned by operator and not amanda? I'm not sure that's making
a big difference assuming amanda is in the operator group, but it looks like
some permissions are a little wonky.

All of my files are owned by amanda:disk with the exception of amqde,
calcsize, killpgrp, rundump and runtar. Those are owned by root and setuid.

So, make sure amanda is in the right group and double check the permissions...

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics