Amanda-Users

Re: all estimates failed for gnutar

2004-10-13 10:47:00
Subject: Re: all estimates failed for gnutar
From: Fernan Aguero <fernan AT iib.unsam.edu DOT ar>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:42:33 -0300
+----[ Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> (12.Oct.2004 19:21):

| > this is the runtar executable
| > pi# ls -l /usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar
| > -r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  4636 Sep 28 12:22
/usr/local/libexec/amanda/runtar

| My guess is an incorrect installation.
| runtar is supposed to be installed, as are several other
| executables, owned by root and setuid'ed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that my runtar is owned
by root, and has the setuid bit set (see above).

Perhaps it should be owned by operator and setuid'ed?
I tried it. Now running runtar as user amanda does not
produce the previous error (must be run as operator), but
this one:
runtar: open debug directory "/tmp/amanda": Permission denied

And this is what the privileges for this directory looks like:
pi# ls -ld /tmp/amanda/
drwx--S---  2 amanda  operator  9728 Oct 12 18:54 /tmp/amanda/

| This should have been done automatically IF you had done,
| as root, the "make install".

+----]

I did the installation as root, of course. I'm not using the
amanda sources 'as is', however, but through the added layer
of the FreeBSD ports system. I doubt this can cause any
trouble, I've already checked the port's Makefile and it is
not overriding amanda's 'install' target ... it is just
setting some default configure options ...

Again, thanks for your help,

Fernan

Fernan Aguero -  fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Phone: +54 11 4580-7255/7 ext 310, Fax: +54 11 4752-9639
Check http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan for more info.