Amanda-Users

Re: Bacula vs. amanda?

2004-09-29 11:52:01
Subject: Re: Bacula vs. amanda?
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:46:40 +0100
Kai

sounds like an index on a table was missing to me, that sort of performance from mysql isn't normal.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Kai Zimmer wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

i used Bacula before i came to Amanda. Bacula is really nice - easy to setup, good documentation and so on. It saves information about files/dumpdates and so on in a mysql database which (in my case) turned out to be a bad idea. My datasets are huge, consisting of millions of xml-snippets. So mysql had lots of work to do and grew enormously to over 6 GB. Doing a single-file restore works fine, but once i had to do a complete system-recovery: The restore-interface consulted mysql and it took more than one week, before i interrupted it and did a (not much faster) direct restore from tape. After all it took me 14 days to restore the system.

And that's why i switched to Amanda ;-)

Kai

the system manager.