Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Compression

2004-09-23 13:00:04
Subject: Re: Amanda Compression
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:59:57 -0400
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:01:43AM -0500, Ivan Petrovich wrote:
> Paul, Jon, & Gene,
>
> My claim was based on experience of running a test configuration once,
> and observing an 8-hr run time, then after turning off software
> compression, observing that the time was reduced in half. I
> immediately abandoned software compression.
>
> Are you suggesting that once Amanda has run once (for 8 hrs, using
> gzip both in "estimate" and "dump"), it should not need to run gzip
> for the estimate phase ever again, and will therefore only take the
> "normal" amount of time (4 hrs, using gzip only for "dump") to
> run?

No, I 'think' that in the absense of historical data amanda uses
the "comprate" parameter (default ?0.5?).

Without an actual report we don't know if the 8hrs were in estimate,
dump, or what.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)