Amanda-Users

Re: autoflush not working, found amgetconf isn't either

2004-09-17 09:26:35
Subject: Re: autoflush not working, found amgetconf isn't either
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:23:13 -0400
Hi Paul,

The autoflush option in 2.4.4 and before does not flush today's dump
because the dump of the current run can overwrite the file in the
holding disk.

This problem is fixed in amanda-2.4.5b1 snapshot because holding disk
use timestamped directory instead of datestamped directory.

Jean-Louis

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:29:57PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> But, I found another bug (probably), and while I usually hunt myself
> for the solution, I'm a little burried under my (paid) workload
> at the moment, so if anybody else feels attracked to bugsolving...

> autoflush does not work when invoking amdump with host/disk, e.g.
>
>   amdump daily www.example.com /var /users ftp.example.com /ftp
>
> I used to invoke such a command sometimes for my archive run in the
> weekends.  I use chg-multi with two drives, but the total volume
> would fill 4 tapes.  2 tapes were filled with the normal amdump,
> and the rest would dump to holdingdisk.  Monday morning I normally
> flush the rest to two other tapes.
> Now and then it happens that one host is down, and one backup did
> not succeed.  In that case I just made sure the problem was cleared
> and, with autoflush enabled, I just did "amdump archive that.host.com"
> which would flush everything in the holdingdisk, and try again
> a backup for that particular host.
>
> Last time I needed it, using 2.4.4p3, the autoflush flag was ignored,
> leaving everything on holdingdisk.
> The previous time I used this is already long ago, probably 2.4.4p2;
> but it did first autoflush and backed up that one host.
> It could be earlier version too -- usually my backups do it as told.
>
> Invoking simply "amdump daily" with something in the holdingarea does
> works fine however, obeying the "autoflush yes" without problem.
>
> --
> Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16 397.511
> Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512
> http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
> * I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, F6, *
> * quit,  ZZ, :q, :q!,  M-Z, ^X^C,  logoff, logout, close, bye,  /bye, *
> * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt,  abort,  hangup, *
> * PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e,  kill -1 $$,  shutdown, *
> * kill -9 1,  Alt-F4,  Ctrl-Alt-Del,  AltGr-NumLock,  Stop-A,  ...    *
> * ...  "Are you sure?"  ...   YES   ...   Phew ...   I'm out          *

Jean-Louis Martineau             email: martineau AT iro.umontreal DOT ca
Département IRO, Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128, Succ. CENTRE-VILLE    Tel: (514) 343-6111 ext. 3529
Montréal, Canada, H3C 3J7        Fax: (514) 343-5834