Amanda-Users

Re: errors backing up with samba

2004-09-10 05:19:30
Subject: Re: errors backing up with samba
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jason Castonguay <jcastonguay AT solfopro DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:58:04 +0200
Jason Castonguay wrote:

Using samba Version 2.2.8a-UL and amanda 2.4.4p2 I run into errors backing up

But from the errors below, it seems, as you already noted, these error are caused by a bad disk.

some files. It seems to time out when backing up certain files over samba. my timeouts are:
etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
dtimeout 1800           # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
ctimeout 30             # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits

I'm not sure if the resulting tar file is still valid, giving the bad disk, but you should increase dtimeout to something very large, e.g. 36000, giving you 10 hours time to backup that disk.
When you have at least one backup lower it to normal values again.

Even better is to keep the amanda config, and try to backup the disk
to a network share, using the OS native utilities (NTbackup for W2K can
do this, NTbackup for NT4 does not).

I'm worried right now because the drive all of these files are on is showing signs of going and I'd like to get a full level 0.

Even better is try to backup the disk to a network share, using the OS native utilities (NTbackup for W2K can do this, NTbackup for NT4 does
not).  Or use winzip or other utilities to backup at least certain
important directories to a network disk.

Once you have this backup image replace that disk asap.

? Error reading file \PPC 2002\MarktgPromoPress\Programs\Image & Print, BROADSTREET BROADSIDE\Image & Print Marketing Materials\Logo\festival logo designs\logobig2.psd : Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
? Didn't get entire file. size=2640764, nread=2424240
? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds opening remote file \PPC 2002\MarktgPromoPress\Programs\Image & Print, BROADSTREET BROADSIDE\Image & Print Marketing Materials\Logo\festival logo designs\PPC LOGO.psd (\PPC 2002\MarktgPromoPress\Programs\Image & Print, BROADSTREET BROADSIDE\Image & Print Marketing Materials\Logo\festival logo designs\)