Amanda-Users

DVD Arrays (was Re: Is anyone using a dvd drive yet?)

2004-09-08 18:20:32
Subject: DVD Arrays (was Re: Is anyone using a dvd drive yet?)
From: Justin Gombos <mindfuq AT zianet DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:15:06 -0600
* Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de> [2004-06-24 18:03]:
> Hi,
> i'm using a dvd+-rw device for archiving my vdr-recordings.
> you don't need to by cdrecord-DVDpro, there is a tool called
> growisofs out there.
> It handles dvd+ and dvd- correct, it is free, and AFAIK
> it handles the various versions of buffer-underrunprotection
> automagically.

Since DVD burners are so cheap now, and still dropping, I would love
to build a DVD array for backups.  Having four or five dvd burners
(possibly mixed with CD burners) in a tower doing unattended backups
would be ideal.  Is this feasible using amanda and other current tools
(like growisofs), or does this capability still need to be developed?

I asked the same question a while ago for CDRs, and if I remember
correctly, the answer was no.  At the time, Amanda was really designed
for tapes, and little headway was made with optical media.  It seemed
that using optical media was unorthodox, and required some improvising
(though doable); and arrays were out of the question.

So I'd like to get an idea for the demand of this sort of capability,
and whether any Amanda developers are even considering support for
optical arrays.