Amanda-Users

Re: how to reset dumpcycle?

2004-09-09 12:12:47
Subject: Re: how to reset dumpcycle?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:05:40 -0400
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:18:19PM +0200, Andreas Putzo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> yesterday i forced amanda to make a level 0. Today, after exchanging the
> tapes, amanda complains about an active tape. I thought by forcing amanda to
> make a level 0, it will start a new dumpcycle. In my understanding todays
> tape is not active since i made a level0 yesterday, but amanda is of another
> opinion.
> So i wonder, if there is a way to ask amanda to start a new dumpcycle?
>
> Sorry for my poor english..

I think "active tape" here means used more recently than other
tapes in your tapecycle.  In fact, more recently than tapecycle
minus 1 tapes in case you rotate more tapes than your tapecycle
setting (as I do).

For example, if your tapecycle is 14 and amanda is expecting
the 7th tape, just because you "start a new dumpcycle" does
not make amanda go back to tape 1.  It still wants the next
tape in the cycle.

BTW what you did was start a new dumpcycle on each of your
DLE's separately.  By that I mean that amanda does not normally
do a level 0 on all your DLE's at the same time.  But whenever
it does a level 0 for any DLE, the dumpcycle for "that" DLE
is begun anew.  It has no effect on the dumpcycle of other DLE's.
In fact, different DLE's could have different dumpcycle lengths.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)