Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring an ArcServe tape on Linux without ArcServe

2004-09-08 14:10:35
Subject: Re: Restoring an ArcServe tape on Linux without ArcServe
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill_2 AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:02:59 -0400
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:57:37AM -0400, Jonathan Dill wrote:
... . With even more luck, you might figure out what compression algorithm was used, for example "gzip" compressed data almost always begins with the same character string, but I forget what it is,

See /etc/magic for the list of "magic numbers" the file(1) uses.
On Linux, that's often burried in /usr/share somewhere these days, for example I just checked on Mandrake 10 it's /usr/share/misc/file/magic, "rpm -q -l file" will help on RPM-based systems, or "locate" (from slocate if installed) might help find it.