Amanda-Users

Tapes filling up

2004-07-26 06:19:34
Subject: Tapes filling up
From: Richard Burridge <rburridge AT picdar DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:13:53 +0100
Hi,

I'm fairly new to all this so please bear with me.

I am currently backing up 150Gb nightly split over 3 partitions (1x8Gb,
2x71Gb). These are dumping straight to a 100/200Gb LTO changer. No
compression is used for the backup because most files are jpgs / pdfs and no
holding disk is used because there isn't one big enough.

The problem I have is that when amanda gets round to backing up the last
71Gb partition there is only 20Gb left on the first tape, which it tries to
write before failing and starting the dump again on a second tape. Everyting
eventually gets backed up ok, but 3+ hours are wasted writing to the first
tape.
Is there a way to tell amanda to use a new tape for the last partition?

Thanks.