Amanda-Users

Re: Looking for sample config files

2004-07-21 11:35:33
Subject: Re: Looking for sample config files
From: CPH <CP.Hennessy AT openapp DOT biz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:35:38 +0100
Hi Joshua,

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 16:12, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 at 4:08pm, CPH wrote
>
> > Hi,
> >   I have very simple needs for an amanda installation :
> > - backup one server which also contains the tape drive;
> > - incremental nightly backup - essentially 2 databases ;
> > - full weekly backup;
> > - I have a dump disk with 1G free
>
> full weekly backup -> dumpcycle 1 week
> runspercycle 5 (assuming running only on weeknights)
> tapecycle ? (How many tapes do you have -- preferably 10+).
>
> dumpcycle is the maximum amount of time between full dumps.
Ok, the above is now much clearer!
So :
  dumpcycle = duration between complete backups;
  runspercycle = no of incremental backups between complete backups;
but tapecycle ?
I have 7 tapes, and I was thinking I would use 5 for the incremental backups
and 2 for the full backups. Does that make sense ?

> As for  documentation, have you read "the chapter"?
> <http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html>
I tried, but it makes much more sense with your explanation.
It's probably me, as I could find almost no other docs on the web to me a an
"amanda for dummies" type of explanation.

CPH