Amanda-Users

Putting on my Amanda hat

2004-07-20 20:17:54
Subject: Putting on my Amanda hat
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:13:46 -0700
Hi guys,

I've successfully setup an Amanda server to backup some two Linux servers and one Windows server to a SDX-300C 35GB SCSI tape.

Doing so and figuring out all of the little quirks has been a trying experience, and the FOM is in a horrendous state.

That said, I still have more backup needs I want to use AMANDA with, and hopefully I'll be able to update the FOM based on that.

I have 10 tapes running daily with runspercycle 9 and dumpcycle 2 weeks.

I want to have another cycle running every other Friday (two weeks), but cron doesn't seem to be able to handle that. I posted to the fedora-list and someone posted this[1] script (yes, yes, I know it's not ready for submission yet. It needs modification before it's useful for what I want...). I was thinking someone would have something based on the "at" command, but this looks ok too.

It would be nice to have some contributed scripts for these typical types of things AMANDA is used for.

I also want to backup to a filesystem several windows machines, but I'd like to find a way to avoid the inevitable locked files that may be found.

I'm thinking of saving backup images to a remote server over a VPN connection (and possibly after encrypting the backup data also). Has used AMANDA in a setup like this?

Anyway, I plan on using my shell and perl scripting skills to help when I can, and especially fix the documentation!

Mike
[1]
if test -f /etc/foo
then