Amanda-Users

Re: different amanda-user and group

2004-07-14 11:32:35
Subject: Re: different amanda-user and group
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: munger AT tzi DOT de
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:15:38 +0200
Matthias Unger wrote:

I have a problem with only own client. On my backupserver the Amanda-user is 'amanda' and the Amanda-group is 'disk'. On the backupclient the Amanda-user is 'root' and the Amanda-group 'sys'. Does this work or must they be the same?

That works.

In the client ~root/.amandahosts:
    theservername  amanda

For using amrecover on the client you always need
in the server ~amanda/.amandahosts:
    theclientname root

That's because you (almost) always want to restore as root.
In my config I have listed all clients, but commented out (preceded
with a '#'), so that whoever is root on that client, cannot restore
arbitrary private files.

While nitpicking, running the client programs as root is against the
principle of giving only the needed privs to a program and not more.
But you can probably live with that (otherwise, recompiling with
the correct settings is not very noisy  :-)  ).