Amanda-Users

Re: amanda restore

2004-07-15 04:45:47
Subject: Re: amanda restore
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kaushal Shriyan <kshriyan AT redhat DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:08:01 +0200
Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

The Command amrestore /dev/nst0 inventory.mumbai.redhat.com
oscar.mumbai.redhat.com doesnot retrieve any backup images from the
tape, It just says skipping, I mean does not restore the above mentioned
backup images

Sorry for not understanding the question the first time.  Now I've read
it again, and I understand you want *two* hosts (any disk, any date)
from the tape.

In that case you need to specify a triple (hostname, diskname, date)
for each host.  Each entry of these three is a pattern. The shortest
pattern that matches anything is the empty string.  Use an empty
string as placeholders for 'any-disk' and 'any-date', like this:

ammt /dev/nst0 rewind
amrestore /dev/nst0 \
        inventory.mumbai.redhat.com '' '' \
        oscar.mumbai.redhat.com '' ''

(amrestore command all one one long line)

Actually, because all three parameters are patterns, even the
hostname, and because you may omit disk and date, as long as you don't
mess up the triple-ness (i.e. you may omit them on the last triple only)
you could type this too:

ammt /dev/nst0 rewind
amrestore /dev/nst0 'inventory*' '' '' 'oscar*'

(and now it fits easy on a line too).

Not that, if you happen to have a host called 'oscar2.mumbai.redhat.com'
that will be restored too.  Use a pattern like 'oscar\.*' in that case.

Any help

I hope it helps this time :-)

Regards,

Kaushal Shriyan

Technical Engineer
Red Hat India Pvt. Ltd.
Tel  : +91-22-22881326/27
Fax  : +91-22-22881318

How do i retrieve multiple backup images from the tape to the Hard disk
using amrestore, I have used
amrestore /dev/nst0 inventory.mumbai.redhat.com oscar.mumbai.redhat.com
but doesnot seem to work

What does that command say?