Amanda-Users

Re: Best Practices: small number of tapes ???

2004-07-10 22:19:01
Subject: Re: Best Practices: small number of tapes ???
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:07:43 -0400
On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:12:18PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> * Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> [2004:07:10:17:45:42-0400]
> scribed:
> > On Saturday 10 July 2004 11:46, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> <snip />
> > >With this current setup, nine (9) usable tapes, I wonder how best to
> > >configure Amanda?  Yes, we can manually swap out magazines as
> > > necessary; but, we prefer that this site run as automagically as
> > > possible.  To wit, one magazine and nine tapes -- period.
> > >
> > >How do you setup similar environments?  What happens if a tape is,
> > > of a sudden, bad when you need to restore?
> > >
> > >What do you think?
> >
> > If it was me, I'd probably get another magazine, put 7 tapes and a
> > cleaner in each, and have cron send you a reminder email to change
> > the magazine before you do anything else monday mornings.  That would
> > take a dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=7, tapecycle=14.
> >
> > Or goto dumpcycle=4,runspercycle=4,and tapecycle=9 and run it every
> > night and wear those tapes out in a hurry.  But I'm not you, and atm
> > don't even have amanda running, I've gotta see if I can make it use
> > dvd-+-rw's one of these days.  My last DDS2 changer's head died a
> > week or so back.
>
> Yes, I know that this is the ideal solution.
>
> However, this is an office with naive computer users, and a bunch of
> servers.  Experience has taught me not to rely too heavily on
> non-technical people to change tapes ;>  It is more important that we
> get a good backup _every_ night, than to have somebody forget to change
> the magazine, and go without backups for several days ;<
>
> Somebody must have already dealt with this scenario, and have a time
> worn solution.

Only for technical people like me.  Who also can't be relied upon
to change magazines once a week and occasionally leave for a week.

I have enough holding disk for several weeks.

Then when I wake up from my 20 year sleep, I can run amflush
... several times.

But I would never plan on having less than 2 dumpcycles in my
tapecycle.  I ususally try to have 3 or 4 dumpcycles/tapecycle.

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)