Amanda-Users

Re: Best Practices: small number of tapes ???

2004-07-10 17:52:04
Subject: Re: Best Practices: small number of tapes ???
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:45:42 -0400
On Saturday 10 July 2004 11:46, Michael D Schleif wrote:
>OK, we have a Quantum SuperDLT1 tape drive, and an Overland LXB
>autoloader, with ten (10) slot magazine and barcode reader.  One
> slot is the cleaning tape, which is controlled by the autoloader,
> and not by the Amanda changer.  Backups are to be performed seven
> (7) days per week.
>
>Amanda is backing up as expected, and tapes are being selected and
>loaded without a hitch.  This is a recent setup, and DLE's are being
>configured and added every couple of days.  So far, everything can
> fit on one tape, even assuming level 0 on each DLE.  As this
> environment grows, that will not be the case.
>
>Normally, Amanda's logic loves a large number of tapes.  My office
> LAN, manually changed, uses eighteen (18) DDS3 tapes.  I have
> followed this setup carefully for more than one year, and even as I
> add DLE's, Amanda manages to get everything necessary on one tape
> per backup.  All is good.
>
>With this current setup, nine (9) usable tapes, I wonder how best to
>configure Amanda?  Yes, we can manually swap out magazines as
> necessary; but, we prefer that this site run as automagically as
> possible.  To wit, one magazine and nine tapes -- period.
>
>How do you setup similar environments?  What happens if a tape is,
> of a sudden, bad when you need to restore?
>
>What do you think?

If it was me, I'd probably get another magazine, put 7 tapes and a
cleaner in each, and have cron send you a reminder email to change
the magazine before you do anything else monday mornings.  That would
take a dumpcycle=7, runspercycle=7, tapecycle=14.

Or goto dumpcycle=4,runspercycle=4,and tapecycle=9 and run it every
night and wear those tapes out in a hurry.  But I'm not you, and atm
don't even have amanda running, I've gotta see if I can make it use
dvd-+-rw's one of these days.  My last DDS2 changer's head died a
week or so back.

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.