Amanda-Users

Re: Rebuilding my backup server

2004-07-05 19:59:47
Subject: Re: Rebuilding my backup server
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:49:19 -0400
On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:42:00AM +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> I do use knoppix heavily, maybe it's my ignorance, but how will it know what
> to restore without my disklists and conf files?

You can't use amrecover until you get that stuff off the tape,
but you can use amrestore, which, by design, doesn't need any of
Amanda's on-disk data; all it needs is the backup media.

To start, you can use amrestore to get a coarse-grained overview
of the tape, using something like:
        mt rewind
        amrestore /dev/nst0 nonexistent-host-name

Amrestore (N.B., not amrecover) will happily trundle through the
tape looking for DLEs for "nonexistent-host-name", and in the
process of not finding any, it'll print a nice list of the files
on the tape.

A lot less painful than all those dd's...

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau