Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover problem

2004-06-28 20:51:32
Subject: Re: amrecover problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:43:08 -0400
On Monday 28 June 2004 15:05, Frederic Medery wrote:
>I had the same prob (the 0 problem). But it's still  not working
> (other reason). Here is my
>
>amidxtaped... :
>amidxtaped: debug 1 pid 1566 ruid 33 euid 33: start at Mon Jun 28
>13:21:51 2004
>amidxtaped: version 2.4.4p1
>amidxtaped: time 0.000: > SECURITY USER root
>amidxtaped: time 0.001: bsd security: remote host
> localhost.localdomain user root local user amanda

What is this^^^^^^?  localhost@localdomain is not a valid, unique
adress and will not work for recovery.  Please read the FAQ and
TOP-TEN-QUESTIONS in the docs directory of the tarball.

>amidxtaped: time 0.002: amandahosts security check passed
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > CONFIG=weekly
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > LABEL=weekly-05
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > FSF=23
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > HEADER
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > DEVICE=/dev/nst0
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > HOST=^urbino$
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > DISK=^/home/users$
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > DATESTAMP=20040529
>amidxtaped: time 0.002: > END
>amidxtaped: time 0.007: amrestore_nargs=0
>amidxtaped: time 0.008: Ready to execv amrestore with:
>path = /usr/sbin/amrestore
>argv[0] = "amrestore"
>argv[1] = "-p"
>argv[2] = "-h"
>argv[3] = "/dev/nst0"
>argv[4] = "^urbino$"
>argv[5] = "^/home/users$"
>argv[6] = "20040529"
>amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be
> offset amrestore:   0: reached end of information
>amidxtaped: time 0.047: amrestore terminated normally with status: 1
>amidxtaped: time 0.047: rewinding tape ...
>amidxtaped: time 9.815: done
>amidxtaped: time 9.815: pid 1566 finish time Mon Jun 28 13:22:00
> 2004
>
>Frédéric Médery
>Administrateur Système
>LexUM, Université de Montréal
>
>mederyf AT lexum.umontreal DOT ca
>tel. : (514) 343-6111  #3288
>
>Bernard McAuley wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've had the same message yesterday - I suggest you read the
>>/tmp/Amanda/amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file and post the
>> contents.  In my case amrecover was being passed a '0' for the
>> tapedev instead of a suitable tape device.  This was because it
>> was picking up my chg-scsi setup, and mapping the device name (0)
>> instead of the device type (/dev/nst0) to amrestore.  I worked
>> around this but using the settape /dev/nst0 to pick up the tape
>> device directly and avoid the /dev/sg devices altogether which
>> amrestore couldn't cope with.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Bernard McAuley
>>bernard.mcauley AT phyworks-ic DOT com

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.