Amanda-Users

Strategies for backing up very large volumes

2004-06-21 12:42:40
Subject: Strategies for backing up very large volumes
From: Jim Potter <jim AT gangermin.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:30:29 +0100
Hi all,
I've been landed with the problem of backing up a large volume (~350Gb) containing home directories with a DDS3 tape drive. Apart from not really being up to the job, I have the following problem - here is an artists impression of my directoery structure:

/homes
   ./students
      ./year10
         ./1234 (a student's homedir)
         ./1235   ...etc
      ./year11
         ./3456
         ./3457   ...etc
   ./staff
      ./fbloggs   (a staff member's home directory)
      ./gbloggs

The problem is that each year directory is too large to fit on one tape. What I would like to do is subdivide a directory (eg year10) into subsets, but not have to specify every user's homedir in the disklist.

does anyone have any ideas how this could be done? Or can you run a single backup run over several tapes (without an autochanger?)

The most promising method I have found so far should back up all user directories within a year group ending in 0 or 1 as one entry in disklist, 2 or 3 as another and so on. This breaks each year's directory into 5 separate jobs. The problem with this is that amandad seems to have trouble handling requests for estimates of ~30 different disklist entries

thanks for any help

Jim Potter
Brislington School
Bristol, UK