Amanda-Users

Re: Backup Wins using Samba 3 client with Chinese filename

2004-06-16 10:23:51
Subject: Re: Backup Wins using Samba 3 client with Chinese filename
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:17:33 -0400
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:18:00PM +0800, Kenny Mok (Wing Fung) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to backup my windows machines using Amanda + Samba 3 client.
> However, those files which are going to be backed-up contain chinese
> characters as its filenames. I want to keep those files with chinese
> filenames using UTF-8 encoding when backup to the tape, so I changed my
> smb.conf with few line added :
>
> -------- Start of smb.conf --------
>
> dos charset = CP950
> unix charset = UTF-8
> display charset =UTF-8
>
> -------- End of smb.conf --------

Does your samba handle the characters cleanly when used interactively?

I.e. can you manually invoke smbclient, peruse the remote shares,
and make tar archive of a directory tree containing normal** and
chinese chars and then cleanly untar it on the server?

jon

** Sorry for the reference to non-chinese chars as "normal",
implying chinese chars were not :))  After I read what I had
typed I decided to not edit it and poke fun at myself.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)