Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate timeout

2004-06-10 08:27:27
Subject: Re: Estimate timeout
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:11:40 +0200
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 1:40pm, Paul Bijnens wrote

I have been thinking about this problem, and, without any real testing
to backup my hypothesis, I believe the problem lies in the default
timeout in iptables for UDP traffic, as you decided too.

For TCP traffic, once a packet is replied, the timeout becomes very
large (5 days or so I believe).  But for UDP, which is a conectionless
protocol the timeout is 180 seconds (I believe).
After this timeout the connection tracking drops the rule.

Is this true even with ip_conntrack_amanda loaded?

I should have a look at the source code, or find a detailed doc that
explains it, to find out.

Anyway that module should somehow know the etimeout parameter
of amanda.conf, which of course it does not know, or otherwise allow
a really really large timeout, like a few hours.  Or should be tuneable
somehow (in the amanda-tradition that could be hardcoded at compile time).