Amanda-Users

Re: deleting contents of vtapes after backups

2004-06-09 04:05:52
Subject: Re: deleting contents of vtapes after backups
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Axel Scheepers (thuis)" <axel AT axel.truedestiny DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:56:44 +0200
Axel Scheepers (thuis) wrote:

I installed amanda on my local network and it's doing fine. I've got 2 configs, one daily which backups to a set of 5 vtapes of 700mb each to burn to cdr, and one weekly full which backups to a set of 250 vtapes of 4GB each to burn to DVD.
The weekly-dvd config has these settings in it:
dumpcycle 0
#runspercycle 4

This only creates full backups of the files. I wonder however, I do not have the space for all these 250 vtapes, could I delete them after backing up?

I assume you did burn them to DVD first.  In that case, yes.
It's best to keep the directory named "slotXXX" on disk.  You may create
a small file in that directory e.g. "on-DVD", with datestamp and coordinates of the DVD etc to remember that you did burn that directory
to DVD.

After you have erased the directory, and create the little reminder
file, amanda will show this slot as containing "not an amanda tape".

If you need to restore something from that backup, you may first locate
the DVD and put the contents back, or you can even symlink the "slotXXX"
directory to the mount point of the DVD.