Amanda-Users

Re: deleting contents of vtapes after backups

2004-06-08 12:10:11
Subject: Re: deleting contents of vtapes after backups
From: David Wolfskill <david AT egation DOT com>
To: "Axel Scheepers (thuis)" <axel AT axel.truedestiny DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:05:51 -0700
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 01:29:27PM +0200, Axel Scheepers (thuis) wrote:
>I installed amanda on my local network and it's doing fine. I've got 2
>configs, one daily which backups to a set of 5 vtapes of 700mb each to
>burn to cdr, and one weekly full which backups to a set of 250 vtapes of
>4GB each to burn to DVD.

OK...  but a TB of backups on vtapes sounds like rather a lot to me....

>The weekly-dvd config has these settings in it:
>dumpcycle 0
>#runspercycle 4

Ummm... the "#" indicates a comment line in amanda.conf.

>This only creates full backups of the files. I wonder however, I do not
>have the space for all these 250 vtapes, could I delete them after
>backing up?

??!?

Well, it's your data, and your config; you can destroy your backups &
lie to amanda if you want to.  I rather doubt that this will make your
life easier, though.

>I was thinking of deleting only the data in these dirs, which if I'm not
>mistaken let's me reuse these tapes whenever I get close to nr.250 (with
>amadmin reuse tapelabels), while only using the space of do many I have
>room for.

I think you are likely to be a lot better off telling amanda the truth
about how many backups to remember.  At least that way, she's less
likely to tell someone that in order to restore certain data, yshe needs
to read data from a backup that you have destroyed.  I'd think that
would be fairly frustrating for all concerned.  I certainly would not do
that intentionally, and I hope I wouldn't do it accdentally, either.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                                 david AT egation DOT com