Amanda-Users

Re: Changing tape sizes

2004-06-02 17:55:26
Subject: Re: Changing tape sizes
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Anthony Valentine <amv AT sbsalaska DOT com>, Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:52:11 -0500
--On Wednesday, June 02, 2004 13:28:58 -0800 Anthony Valentine <amv AT
sbsalaska DOT com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I've been using 10GB DLT tapes for my Amanda setup, however, they are
> getting old so I am replacing them.  I saw no point in trying to find
> 10GB tapes, so I've purchased 40GB tapes instead.
>
> I have been replacing them one at a time the day before they are to be
> overwritten, and I am almost done with the entire set.
>
> Currently, because of the legacy 10GB tape capacity, Amanda thinks that
> all of my tapes are only 10GB.  When I have finished replacing all of
> the tapes, is there any issue with telling Amanda that the tapes are
> 40GB?
>
> That is, is there anything specific that I have to do or will Amanda
> just start using the extra capacity?

If Amanda isn't going to have to write to the smaller tapes again, just
go ahead and modify your tapetype to the larger size and Amanda will
make fuller use of your new tapes.  Recovering from the smaller tapes
will still work.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673