Amanda-Users

Re: More questions about amanda

2004-06-02 11:53:57
Subject: Re: More questions about amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:47:26 -0400
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:24:26PM -0300, Marcelo Leão Caffaro wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> i have more questions about the amanda
>
> before i install the amanda, i run the winnt backup to make my daily backup
> and i have four daily tapes (Mon,Tue,Wed,The) four tapes to week (in all Fri)
> and one tape to month.
>
> But now i search to amanda one backup solution and i have someone questions
> about the amanda.
>

> first: in older backup i put the name (month1, month2) and if i need restore,
> i only put this tape in drive...
> in amanda how i do to select another data or month to restore?
>

> second: the directory to restore the files with recover is the same specified
> in amanda.conf?
> if i put this i have this message:
>
> 220 tux2 AMANDA index server (2.4.4p2) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2004-06-02)
> 200 Working date set to 2004-06-02.
> Scanning /backup1/amanda...
> 200 Config set to Daily.
> 200 Dump host set to tux2.employer.com.br.
> Trying disk /backup1 ...
> Trying disk hdb1 ...
> Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD '/backup1/amanda'
>
> but in my amanda.conf
> holdingdisk hc1 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/backup1/amanda" # where the holding disk is
>     use -1 Gb
>
> whats wrong?

You restore or recover to either the original directory (the one
at the top of the backup tree for that DLE) or into an empty
directory (my preference) and after recovery to that location,
move the desired files to their final destination.

amrecover is an interactive command.  read the man page to
determine how to tell it the system (host) to recover, the
DLE, and the date.  It will then check its logs and tell
you (with an "ls/cd" type interface) what directories and
files are available for that date.  Tell amrecover which
you want to recover (mark them) and ask it to recover them
from tape (extract).  Amrecover will then tell you what tapes
need to be inserted into the drive and rewound to set it to
the start of the tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)