Amanda-Users

Re: disk offline error

2004-06-01 23:56:14
Subject: Re: disk offline error
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 23:54:07 -0400
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 10:26:57AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> If [...] you tell amanda to use a version of dump, those programs
> generally work at the device level (even when told to work on a
> mount point) and should be able to backup umounted partitions.

To add a bit more detail, dump does this by understanding the
file-system data structures, just about as intimately as the
kernel file-system code does.  Every file-system type needs its
own specific pair of "dump" and "restore" programs if you want to
back up unmounted partitions.

Which is why using dump instead of gtar does *not* get you this:

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau