Amanda-Users

Re: How to examine a tape?

2004-04-22 13:56:18
Subject: Re: How to examine a tape?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:54:08 -0400
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:07:18PM +0200, Mats Blomstrand wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have been given a tape with "useful data" on. I dont know how the data is
> put on the tape so cant figure out how to get to it. I have tried to use tar
> to read directly from tape-device but it doesnt recognize anything.
>
> Please enlight me with some tape-basics on how to investigate an unknown tape.

Solaris has a "tcopy" command.  Do other OS's??

One use of tcopy is to examine the number and organization of
files on the tape.  For each tape file it prints out information
about the size of the blocks and the number of blks of that size.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)