Amanda-Users

Re: mtx on RH 7.1 with attached Seagate Sidewinder 200 AL

2004-04-12 02:32:25
Subject: Re: mtx on RH 7.1 with attached Seagate Sidewinder 200 AL
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 02:15:19 -0400
On Sunday 11 April 2004 23:44, Mark W4CHL wrote:
>Part of bringing up Amanda, working to get mtx configured correctly.
>  Seeing initial setup OK, but then unable to load a tape.
>
>Here's the setup:
>
>- PC 300GL server (266MHz PII), Adaptec 2940US
>
>- RH 7.1 w/ mtx 1.2.18
>
>must use "noattach" option and get the following
>
> [mark@StorPORH1 mark]$ mtx -f /dev/sg0 noattach status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg0:1 Drives, 4 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>       Storage Element 1:Full
>       Storage Element 2:Full
>       Storage Element 3:Full
>       Storage Element 4:Full
> [mark@StorPORH1 mark]$
>
> But can't get a tape to load:
> [mark@StorPORH1 mark]$ mtx -f /dev/sg0 noattach load 1
> mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 20
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: Field in Error = 07
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Field Pointer = 00 00
> MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 2 to 1 Failed
> [mark@StorPORH1 mark]$
>
>Now should I see two LUNs in /proc/scsi/scsi ?

Yes, but in RedHat, you'll have to turn on the scan_all_luns option in
your kernel's .config and reinstalled it after you've run make
xconfig in the kernel srcs and turned it on.  RedHats stock kernels
do not scan anything but lun=0 unless rebuilt.

However, since thats only 7.1, I'm not sure you can build one of the
later kernels without updating at least the compiler packages.
Personaly, this machine was a RH8.0 install at one time, but most of
what I use has been brought up to presentday stuff via building
tarballs, removing the rpms and replacing them with a make install of
the tarball.  My kde is 3.2.1, and my kernel is 2.6.5-mm3.

Lets see, 7.1... If your bind hasn't been updated, IIRC there is a
huge security hole that will get it rootkitted about 20 minutes after
some script kiddie finds it.  Just for that reason alone I'd move to
a later distribution.

>[mark@storporh1 mark]$ more /proc/scsi/scsi
>Attached devices:
>Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
>  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: AIT-LDR          Rev: L1j4
>  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>[mark@storporh1 mark]$
>
>Any ideas ?

Yes, that should look something like this:
[root@coyote root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX Rev: 0420
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 01
  Vendor: ARCHIVE  Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX Rev: 0420
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

That report is for a Compaq/Seagate ctl-96 or 4586, this little full
height 5.25" changer has been sold under several brand names over the
years.  Not AIT, but el-cheapo DDS2.

>Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
>Amanda-w4chl at sneakemail-dot-com

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)