Amanda-Users

Re: AIT-2

2004-04-07 17:51:02
Subject: Re: AIT-2
From: Christopher Linn <celinn AT mtu DOT edu>
To: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:48:07 -0400
On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:51:08PM -0700, Dege, Robert C. wrote:
> > what platform/OS is your tapehost?
> AMD System, running RedHat 9.0.  I'm using a stock 2.4.22 kernel.

OK.  i've never run a linux amanda server/tapehost.

> > did you also modify your SCSI tape driver config file
> > (/kernel/drv/st.conf
> > on Solaris) so the driver can know about particular capabilities of
> > the tapedrive?
>
> I didn't modify any kernel source files.  I'm using 2 modules, st.o for the
> tape drive, and sg.o for the tape changer.

i don't know how the linux kernel does this.  i hear tell of a "SCSI
HowTo" out there, maybe even a "SCSI Tape HowTo"..

> > only with larger tape files, e.g. over ~16Gb in size.  symptom was
> > device timeouts on the tape device, and amanda "thought" these dumps
> > were successful!
>
> Really?  How were you able to resolve this problem?  Did you lower chunksize
> or something similar in the amanda.conf file?

i put the DIP switches the way they were supposed to be, and added the
relevant lines to the (solaris) st.conf file..  ;*)  i am suspicious
that the st.conf definitions were key.  kernel debug logging stopped
showing the device timeouts.

> -Rob

chris

--
Christopher Linn, (celinn at mtu.edu) | By no means shall either the CEC
Staff System Administrator            | or MTU be held in any way liable