Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda backup strategy thoughts, full and incremental backups to tape once a week.

2004-04-06 15:22:50
Subject: Re: Amanda backup strategy thoughts, full and incremental backups to tape once a week.
From: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
To: "William Hargrove" <whargrove AT dsc DOT net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:19:13 -0400
In a message dated: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:12:05 BST
"William Hargrove" said:

>I was thinking I could do the incremental backups to a hard disk area on the
>tape
>server each night and then run Amanda once a week to archive the full backups
>plus
>the HDD incremental ones.

I did this once, way back when all I had was a single DLT drive and
no autoloader.  I would just leave the drive empty all week, and on
Friday mornings I would pop that week's tape in then amflush
everything to tape.  When that was done, I would place the weekend
tape in the drive and the full dumps on Saturday night would go
direct to tape, or, if I forgot, end up on the holding disk for
amflushing Monday morning.

This worked quite well IMO for the small environment I had at the
time.

HTH,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE