Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda backup strategy thoughts, full and incremental backups to tape once a week.

2004-04-06 14:11:45
Subject: Re: Amanda backup strategy thoughts, full and incremental backups to tape once a week.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:04:42 -0400
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:12:05PM +0100, William Hargrove wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to ask a general Amanda backup 'strategy' question here, given
> by backup 'goals' below. I have a configured and working Amanda set-up but I
> want to try and fit a backup policy that I believe is best suited to our
> site around Amanda.
>
> I have an 8-tape (DLT 35/70gb each) auto changer library linked to Amanda
> via mtx, this works well.
>
> I want to do a full backup of various file systems on a remote host once a
> week and then, ideally, incremental backups once a day to that same tape. At
> the end of a week's backup, the tape should switch. One week's backup is far
> less than a single tape's capacity.
>
> I would like to be able to hold 8 weeks worth of backups on tape, that is
> one tape a week and then reuse the oldest tape.
>
> I'm not sure this is possible with Amanda.. as I believe I can't append the
> daily incremental backups onto the same tape as the full backups. Is it the
> case that if I want to run Amanda every day that I would also have to use a
> tape every day, thus meaning the tapes in the library are all used after a
> week. I'm fixed in the number of tapes I can use and can't add/replace them,
> so they would get reused after a week and wouldn't provide much of a 'backup
> horizon'.
>
> If this isn't possible does anyone have some suggestions? I was thinking I
> could do the incremental backups to a hard disk area on the tape server each
> night and then run Amanda once a week to archive the full backups plus the
> HDD incremental ones.

Where is that "Top Ten Questions" document when you need it?

Amanda will not reuse a tape for a new run of amdump, fulls or
incrementals, until it cycles through "tapecycle" number of
tapes.  So you are correct, amanda will NOT append a second
amdump to a tape.  Amanda only overwrites tapes!

However, an amflush can overwrite a tape with multiple dumps
from the holding disk.  Thus collect as many amdumps as you
want with the tape offline.  Then amflush when you want to
tape them.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)