Amanda-Users

RE: tape device /dev/st0 not responding - RH9

2004-04-01 11:13:29
Subject: RE: tape device /dev/st0 not responding - RH9
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:10:04 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 at 10:46am, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote

> 1. I don't think I have stinit configured; there's no stinit.conf in
> /etc/.

You don't *have* to have stinit set up.

> 2. Using /dev/nst0 works no better than /dev/st0. if I "mt" anything,
> using either, the command prompt just returns after a second, and no
> response from the drive.

If, e.g., the tape is already at BOT, you shouldn't see any response to
'mt rewind'.

> 3. Tarring directly to the drive, it appears to work OK! "tar -cvf
> /dev/nst0 /home", and the drive blinks for a while.

Can you then read back the image.

Have you tried to amlabel a tape yet?  So far, I'm not seeing a problem...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering