Amanda-Users

Re: etimeout

2004-03-31 10:09:58
Subject: Re: etimeout
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:51:03 -0500
On Wednesday 31 March 2004 04:47, pascal thomas wrote:
>hallo and good morning again,
>
>is it dangerous to reduce the value of etimeout in the amanda.conf
> file when using hard-disk dump? I think a default of 300 is very
> high. Can the result of dump be damaged if it is of the value 100?
>
>with regards
>pascal

etimeout is the estimate phase, and shouldn't have anything to do with
a disk based target.  IIRC if to short, the estimates time out and
that DLE will not be done.  Here, with 44 entries in my disklist, I
reset it to 1800 in order to let the spindle numbers serialize the
action rather than beating the disks to death with overlapping seeks.
Its actually faster that way I believe.

In any event, amanda will calculate what amanda is doing in the backup
phase, and begin it as soon as the estimates are done, so it does no
harm to have it set too long.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: