Amanda-Users

Re: etimeout

2004-03-31 05:08:52
Subject: Re: etimeout
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: pascal thomas <thomas.pascal AT web DOT de>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:05:09 +0200
pascal thomas wrote:

is it dangerous to reduce the value of etimeout in the amanda.conf
file when using hard-disk dump? I think a default of 300 is very
high. Can the result of dump be damaged if it is of the value 100?

You mean hard-disk dump: dump to hard-disk instead of tape?

etimeout (or dtimeout) is unrelated to hard-disk dump vs tape dump.

Especially etimeout is the time that amanda waits for the estimate
phase.  Using gnutar takes usually longer than using some version
of dump.  Doing backups to harddisk does not make this faster
or slower.

You risk excluding some host completely.  If a host does not answer
within that time, it is excluded from the backups:
If the host and/or amandad on that client crashes while doing the
estimates, the amanda server just waits that long (etimeout times
the number of DLE's on that host) before giving up on him, and
starting the backup of the other hosts.

Note that each host answers with estimates for all his DLE's at once.
It does not answer for each DLE in a separate message.