Amanda-Users

Re: parallel tape usage/ RAIT or what else?

2004-03-29 12:36:58
Subject: Re: parallel tape usage/ RAIT or what else?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:31:52 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 at 12:12pm, Brian Cuttler wrote

> Isn't there a possiblity of port conflict on the server ?

Not that I'm aware of.  The server checks for open ports before telling
the clients (in the UDP packets) what ports to communicate with the server
on.  There *is* the possibility of port conflicts on the clients (since
all the UDP requests to go 10080), thus the limitation of clients only
being in one config at a time.

> Don't you have to have separate binaries on the server for
> the different configs if they are accessing the same ethernet
> interface ?

Err, why?  I don't think so.

> I got around this on my site by having one config backup local
> disks and another config backing up disks that where attached
> to amanda-clients != amanda-server.
>
> Was that unneccessary on my end ?

I think so.  :)

To be clear, I run two configs simultaneously on one of my servers, each
using 1 of the 2 AIT3 drives in my library.  It works flawlessly.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering