Amanda-Users

TL891 plus fibre channel question

2004-03-24 16:40:00
Subject: TL891 plus fibre channel question
From: "Larson, Thomas - DFI" <Thomas.Larson AT dfi.state.wi DOT us>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:33:40 -0600
I am currently trying to configure amanda for our department.  The tape
library we have is a Compaq TL891 with two tape drives and 26 storage slots.
I have it connected via a Compaq fibre channel tape controller(FCTC) to a
fedora linux box.

I can view the status of the tape library with an mtx -f /dev/sg0 status.
Contents of my /proc/scsi/scsi show that fedora sees both the tape changer
and both drives.  The drives appear to be accessible via /dev/st0, /dev/st1,
/dev/nst0, and /dev/nst1

My question is this:

I've reviewed the TAPE.CHANGERS documentation that is included with the
amanda binaries.  However it is not clear which changer configuration is
best suited to this hardware.  All I know is mtx commands that actually try
to interact with the hardware confuse the FCTC to the point of needing to be
rebooted.  Mtx staus commands are ok, but I tried configuring the chg-zd-mtx
changer portion of amanda and that kills it pretty quickly.

If anyone has experience configuring amanda for this hardware, I'd
appreciate any direction you could provide.  Thank you.

Thomas Larson
System Administrator
WI Dept of Financial Institutions
thomas.larson AT dfi.state.wi DOT us