Amanda-Users

Re: I still have timeouts

2004-03-22 08:44:44
Subject: Re: I still have timeouts
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:42:18 -0500
On Monday 22 March 2004 05:20, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Gavin Henry wrote:
>> /-- whitehat   /var lev 0 FAILED [data timeout] sendbackup: start
>> [whitehat:/var level 0] sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
>> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... - sendbackup: info end
>> \--------
>>
>> even after changing to gnutar. Does anyone know of more up two
>> date RH8 RPMS, maybe I will get more control with those?
>
>I would first take a look in /tmp/amanda/sendbackup.*debug on the
>client and find out how long actually it does take to do the backup
>of those filesystems. Then set "dtimeout" accordingly.
>
>Or maybe you notice some obvious error message in the file, or you
>notice that gnutar/gzip dies prematurely etc.
>Upgrading amanda won't help when it's the gzip in the pipe that
> dies.
>
>You can always compile a recent amanda version yourself.
>It's actually quiet easy.

Quiet? Methinks you meant 'quite' since the installation of amanda
from the latest tarball snapshot does not normally make any noise
here.  My fingers make those sorts of mistakes all the time. :-)

My own script which makes installing the next amanda release about a 4
minute job requireing only a modicum of memory, has been posted here
in the last week I believe. It can be simplified a bit for those who
are changerless.

In my case I'll have 2 more changers shortly as I caught an ebay
auction last week and bought 2 more of them, NIB, at $105 each,
including shipping, so the next time one dies I'll have its
replacement ready and waiting.  I'm sort of stuck at the DDS2 (4Gb
tapes level) since I have about 50 tapes on hand, and about 20 of
them are fresh yet.  In 4 years, I've lost 6 tapes so far (4 of them
is still stuck in the last changer that died), and some have at least
500 passes on the header by now.  So they've been good to me
considering the cost, which is very reasonable at less than 3 bucks a
tape.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: