Amanda-Users

Re: All estimates failed

2004-03-20 08:28:31
Subject: Re: All estimates failed
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:23:37 -0500
On Saturday 20 March 2004 06:26, James Tappin wrote:
>Sorry I can't thread this with a related thread a day or 2 back, but
> I hadn't subscribed then and the e-groups interface won't allow a
> reply by mail.
>
>I've been having a similar problem in that as of 14 March all
> dump-based backups on my main machine have been failing because of
> an all estimate filed error. Tar-based backups are working
> correctly.
>
>The disklist file has (inter alia)
>xena / comp-root -1 local
>localhost /usr high-tar
>localhost /usr/local comp-user -1 local
>localhost /opt comp-root
>localhost /var comp-user -1 local
>localhost /home comp-high -1 local
>localhost /software comp-user -1 local
>localhost /data4 comp-user -1 local
>localhost /data5 comp-user -1 local
>localhost /data7 comp-user -1 local
>
>gabrielle       / comp-root
>gabrielle       /home   comp-high
>..
>..
>..
>
>Initially all the localhost lines had the same form as the one for
>/usr/local the variations are things I've tried to see if they have
> any effect. xena is the local machine. All the disks on the remote
> hosts are dumping correctly.
>
>The logs for one of the failing disks have:
>
>localhost:/var overdue 5 days for level 0
>setup_estimate: localhost:/var: command 0, options:
>    last_level 2 next_level0 -5 level_days 4
>    getting estimates 0 (376905) 2 (83135) 3 (0)
>..
>..
>..
>planner: time 151.784: got result for host localhost disk /var: 0 ->
> -1K, 2 -> -1K, 3 -> -1K
>
>The timing of the problem does not appear to correspond with updated
>versions of either amanda or dump in the Debian repository.
>
>James

1:  Do NOT use localhost in your disklist, use FQDN's only

2:  AFAIK, dump doesn't do subdirs, only partitions, so if
zena /usr/local is just a subdir of zena /, dump is probably dead
although I'll be the first to admit I'm not a dump expert.

3:  Because of 2, we're personally bent toward tar, version 1.13-19 or
later.  It does all that stuff just fine.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: