Amanda-Users

All estimates failed

2004-03-20 06:42:57
Subject: All estimates failed
From: James Tappin <james AT tappin.me DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:26:59 +0000
Sorry I can't thread this with a related thread a day or 2 back, but I
hadn't subscribed then and the e-groups interface won't allow a reply by
mail.

I've been having a similar problem in that as of 14 March all dump-based
backups on my main machine have been failing because of an all estimate
filed error. Tar-based backups are working correctly.

The disklist file has (inter alia)
xena / comp-root -1 local
localhost /usr high-tar
localhost /usr/local comp-user -1 local
localhost /opt comp-root
localhost /var comp-user -1 local
localhost /home comp-high -1 local
localhost /software comp-user -1 local
localhost /data4 comp-user -1 local
localhost /data5 comp-user -1 local
localhost /data7 comp-user -1 local

gabrielle       / comp-root
gabrielle       /home   comp-high
..
..
..

Initially all the localhost lines had the same form as the one for
/usr/local the variations are things I've tried to see if they have any
effect. xena is the local machine. All the disks on the remote hosts are
dumping correctly.

The logs for one of the failing disks have:

localhost:/var overdue 5 days for level 0
setup_estimate: localhost:/var: command 0, options:
    last_level 2 next_level0 -5 level_days 4
    getting estimates 0 (376905) 2 (83135) 3 (0)
..
..
..
planner: time 151.784: got result for host localhost disk /var: 0 -> -1K,
2 -> -1K, 3 -> -1K

The timing of the problem does not appear to correspond with updated
versions of either amanda or dump in the Debian repository.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james AT tappin.me DOT uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering