Amanda-Users

Re: flush full dumps only

2004-03-19 12:03:33
Subject: Re: flush full dumps only
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:00:16 -0500
I have attached a very simple but effective script that I set up to
separate full and incremental holding disk files, so that full dumps can
be flushed to tape while incrementals remain on disk. The script is
almost so simple as to be a joke, but I don't have any idea what kind of
bugs can be found.

WARNING: The script is provided as-is with no warranty express or
implied. If you screw up your amanda backups do not come crying to me.
To really make the script work, you will need to change the values of $r
and $i for your configuration, run it to see what it will do, and then
remove the "echo" from the beginning of the two lines. If you can't
figure out what that means, then you probably shouldn't be screwing
around with this stuff anyway and should forget about it.

For restores, I think I can flush the latest batch of full dumps, then
use a modified amanda.conf that looks in the directory where the
incrementals are stored, but I am not sure how amanda decides where
holding disk files are located.  I might have a use another script to
move the incrementals back to the normal holding disk tree, but I will
cross that bridge when I come to it, to use a rather hackneyed
expression.

--
Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>