Amanda-Users

Re: ideal dumpcicle

2004-03-17 17:54:23
Subject: Re: ideal dumpcicle
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:50:44 -0500
<sergio AT ee.ryerson DOT ca> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup amanda to backup 52 weeks with incremental
>> daily and every week a full backup. My amanda.conf shows like:
>>
>> dumpcycle 7
>> runspercycle 5
>> tapecycle 55 tapes
>>
>> for sure I'm doing something wrong .. what is it?
>> when I run amadmin to check the due date for each disk I get:
>>
>> Due in 367 day20040317104426s: backupserver:/etc
>> Due in 361 days: backupserver:/var
>> Due in 362 days: backupserver:/home
>>
>> question: how do I modify my amanda.conf to meet my 52 weeks
>> configuration?
>
>To have a years worth of backups, you would need a tapecycle of
>at least 5 * 52 = 260 tapes.
>
>Maybe you need two separate configs, one always-full running weekly
>with a tapecycle of at least 52 tapes, and one running daily with
>at least 5 tapes (using your runspercycle).

I'd modify that a bit, to a tapecycle of 10 tapes so you have 2 recent
fulls on hand in the everyday runs.

Also, when using 2 configs, they should have seperate data dirs so
they don't get confused.  This means that the always-full run will
need to be seperated by a day from any of the other configs normal
runs, and you will have full backups in the daily schedule too.  But
cron can handle that without waking from a snooze.

>Frank
>
>> thx all,
>>
>> sergio
>>

>> --