Amanda-Users

Re: ideal dumpcicle

2004-03-17 13:35:41
Subject: Re: ideal dumpcicle
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Sergio Pereira <sergio AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>, amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:32:56 -0600
--On Friday, March 21, 2003 13:13:06 -0500 Sergio Pereira <sergio AT ee.ryerson
DOT ca> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to setup amanda to backup 52 weeks with incremental daily and
> every week a full backup. My amanda.conf shows like:
>
> dumpcycle 7
> runspercycle 5
> tapecycle 55 tapes
>
> for sure I'm doing something wrong .. what is it?
> when I run amadmin to check the due date for each disk I get:
>
> Due in 367 days: backupserver:/etc
> Due in 361 days: backupserver:/var
> Due in 362 days: backupserver:/home
>
> question: how do I modify my amanda.conf to meet my 52 weeks
> configuration?

To have a years worth of backups, you would need a tapecycle of
at least 5 * 52 = 260 tapes.

Maybe you need two separate configs, one always-full running weekly
with a tapecycle of at least 52 tapes, and one running daily with
at least 5 tapes (using your runspercycle).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673