Amanda-Users

SAMBA: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2004-03-11 07:44:36
Subject: SAMBA: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: tstone AT fachschaft.informatik.tu-darmstadt DOT de (Tim Krieglstein)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:40:59 +0100
Hi

I am trying to get amanda backup from windows machines up and running,
currently without any success:

I have tried three hosts two windows machines and one unix box and both
windows boxes fail.

The log of amcheck -c looks like this:
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: snap1: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: wins4: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 3 hosts checked in 29.156 seconds, 2 problems found

The disklist:
snap1 //snap1/iss/ samba
wins4 //wins4/software/ samba
sun10   /var/www/       comp-user-tar

amandapass:
//snap1/iss/    user%password  TUD_FB20_ISS
//wins4/software/ user%password  TUD_FB20_ISS

the dumptype samba of amanda.conf
define dumptype samba {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    options compress-fast
    priority low
}

The system itself is a 2.4.2x linux box with debian woody and a
backported amanda from debian sid:
ii  amanda-server       2.4.4p2-1 Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk
Archiver (Server)

The most unusual ist the backported smbclient:
ii  smbclient                        3.0.2a-0.backports.org.2         a
LanManager-like simple client for Unix

But since there is an entry in the changelog about fixing a bug with
samba 3.0 i suppose it should work. The unix backup is working. There's
no firewall, and amanda is listed in the inetd.conf:
amanda dgram udp wait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
amandaidx stream tcp nowait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped

host.deny is empty and host.allow has:
amanda: snap1.vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

It seems to me that amcheck tries to initiate a amanda connection via
udp. Which doesn't work with windows machines? I would apreciate any
hints.

Thanks
Tim