Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris ACLs

2004-03-09 00:37:49
Subject: Re: Solaris ACLs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:33:55 -0500
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:35:49PM -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
> Someone on the sage-members list is looking for free backup software
> that met his listed requirements, and I was about to reply with
> "Amanda", but I wasn't sure about his requirement #5 (below) pertaining
> to Solaris ACLs.  Will Amanda actually do what he wants?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
>

> > I currently work for a large university. We currently have a
> > Very Large tape library system (a walk-in model, terrabites of storage,
> >  hundreds of tapes, blah blah blah)
> >
> > We currently have robotics software (unitree) and some "interesting"
> > home-grown custom jobbies.
> > Unfortunately, they are rather ugly. So I'd like to be able to migrate our
> > backups to something a little more sane, and a little more widely used.
> >
> > Given the amount of data, and number of hosts, and our limited funding for
> > software, getting a license for veritas or legato backup software, etc.
> > is going to be out of the question. So I need a free solution suggested.
> >
> > My ideal backup solution would handle:
> >

> > 1. multiple incoming backup streams, ideally multiplexing then to a single
> >    tape or virtual "restoral device", for streaming speed purposes, etc.
> >
> > 2a. know about interfacing with unitree directly, OR
> >
> > 2b. be flexible about "save all the data to a pseudo-'file' which is
> >     actually managed by HSM
> >
> > 3. be able to handle restore requests along the lines of,
> >
> >    "Give me all the files in directory X, on machine Y, at date
> >       YYY/MM/DD:HH/MM/SS"
> >
> >    and pull in the appropriate files from the last full dump, and all
> >    relevant incrementals.
> >
> >    And if there was a level0, level2, level3, and level4 dump, and
> >    the most recent versions of the file(s) were on level3,
> >    it would not have to go through the level0 and level2 dumps
> >    to find out the data is not there.
> >

> > 4. it must be able to handle Very Large Filesystems
> >    (I'm not sure we have any terrabytes filesystems... Yet.
> >      But we probably will have them soon)
> >
> > 5. It should be able to handle restoring Solaris ACLs
> >

> > It is not neccessary to have any kind of non-root-user interface.
> > Restores are handled by the sysadmins only.
> >
> > Of all of the above, I think that everything except  #2 is mandatory.
> >
> > Am I dreaming, or is there anything out there for free that can actually
> > handle all of this?

The man page doesn't mention ACL's, but I suspect it will
have to preserve them.  Tar/gnutar of course will not.
However, if Shilly's 'star' can be made to work, it claims
to preserve Solaris ACL's (and not affect atime).

If ufsdump is used the normal caveats apply, exclude/include
don't work, only entire file systems which must fit on tape, ...

As Solaris also can do FS snapshots, the OP should be informed
of that feature.  Not amanda specific, but "neat".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)