Amanda-Users

Re: User size caps

2004-03-08 15:00:18
Subject: Re: User size caps
From: Patrick Michael Kane <modus AT pr.es DOT to>
To: Daniel Bentley <danielb AT hermod.qsicorp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:57:21 -0800
* Joshua Baker-LePain (jlb17 AT duke DOT edu) [040308 11:48]:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 at 11:29am, Daniel Bentley wrote
> > Is there any way to put a 'size cap' on the amount of data being backed up
> > from one particular source (or -all- sources, at that)?  There's a big
> > difference between 'Could you keep the size of the share you want backed
> > up to X?' and 'There is a limit to back up sizes of X.  Anything you have
> > above this WILL NOT be backed up...'
>
> Sounds like a job for quotas to me.  I can't really think of a way of
> enforcing this with amanda.

The only thing I could suggest would be dynamically generating an
excludes file on the target based on disk space utilization.

Not exactly built-in to amanda, but a little less harsh than quotas
(although I wouldn't want to be the system administrator (or his boss)
when one of the managerial types loses a file and can't get it
back...).

Best,
--
Patrick Michael Kane