Amanda-Users

files larger than tape

2004-03-03 07:37:59
Subject: files larger than tape
From: "Madhvi Gokool" <madhvin AT yahoo DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:31:02 +0400
hello
I need to backup a 18G directory(/terrasky/tslibrary)  which contains 12
subdirectories.
Currently, using the disklist example in the documentation for large files,
my disklist looks like this : -
#sa03   /terrasky/tslibrary/ {
# All directories that start with [h-z]
#       user-tar
#       include "./[h-z]*"
#       } 1

sa03    /terrasky/tslibrary/ {
# All directories that start with [a-g]
        user-tar
        include "./[a-g]*"
        } 1

Since I do not have a tape changer, I insert the first tape and run amdump .
Then I manually edit the disklist file  to backup the other files onto a
second tape. If the size of the data being backed up exceeds the tape
capacity of 12G, the disklist is modified again to get backup data of les
than 12 G to fiit on one tape.
I have the following queries: -
1. Instead of me calculating the backup data size, can't amanda do it.  If
it exceeds the tape capacity, can't amanda break the data up , copy folders
up to 12 G on the first tape, request for the second tape and copy the rest
of the data to the second tape.

Pls note that this directory is being fully backed up weekly and monthly -
without any incremental backups being done.  We want to minimise user
intervention during the backup.

regards
madhvi